Law 1. Field of Play
- Dimensions: The field of play shall be square (30 x 30).
- Markings: Distinctive lines from 2-5 inches wide.
- Goals: The goals shall consist of two cones, six yards apart
Law 2. The Ball
Size three (#3)
Law 3. Number of Players
- 4 (four) per side. U-6 has 9 ± players, U-8 has 12± players.
- Playing time: each player must participate a minimum of 50% of total playing time.
- Substitution: during half time or anytime (like in hockey or deadball situations).
Law 4. Player’s Equipment
Jersey or shirt, shorts, shin-guards, stockings, footwear.
NOTE: A player shall not wear anything that is dangerous to another player or him/herself.
Law 5. Referee – none –
Parent/coach - observe/assist/encourage. Parent/coach shall be encouraged to explain an infraction to the offending player, without undue delay of the game or showing favoritism to either team. Parent/coach should address both teams, not an individual, while doing so.
Law 6. Duration of the Game
- The game is to be divided into two halves, 20 minutes each half.
- The substitution break (2 minutes) shall be whistled by coach midway through each half.
- Half-time break shall not exceed 5 minutes.
Law 7. The Start of Play
Opponent must be 6 yards from the center line when kick-off is being taken. A goal may be scored directly from a kick-off.
NOTE: The ball is not in play until it is touched forward. It cannot be touched by the initial kicker a second time until it is touched by another player.
Law 8. Ball In and Out of Play
The ball is out of play when it has wholly crossed the goal or touch lines.
Law 9. Method of Scoring
- The whole of ball must cross the goal line between cones.
- The ball cannot be thrown, carried or intentionally propelled by hand or arm over the goal line.
Law 10. Off-Side
Law 11. Fouls and Misconduct
- A foul is any play which can possibly result in injury.
- The parent/coach should explain all infractions to the offending player in less than 15 seconds.
- All intentional fouls will result in an indirect free kick – with opponent 6 yards away (See Law 12).
NOTE: If explanation requires more than 15 seconds, wait for the end of the game to do so.
Law 12. Free Kicks
Shall be classified under ONE heading – INDIRECT. This means a goal may not be scored until the ball has been touched by a second player of either team
Law 13. Penalty Kicks
No penalty kicks.
Law 14. Throw-Ins
- One re-throw must be allowed if foul throw occurs.
Coach/parent shall explain fault before re-throw.
Law 15. Goal Kick
- Goal kick may be taken from marked point.
- Opponents must be 6 yards from the ball.
- A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick.
Law 16. Corner Kick
- May be taken from corner point.
- Opponents must be 6 yards away from the ball.
Law 17. Common Sense
- Do not make rules that will result in boredom, bureaucracy, and losing sight of your purpose as an adult.
- Keep no league standings, no publicity.
- Have fun!
- Aim for more touches for each player.
- No keeper – more goals scored
- No keeper – no standing around – all field players
- Play 2 games simultaneously side-by-side